Job Title: Technical Designer (Solutions)
Business Unit: CIO Digital Services
Location: Glasgow/Newcastle Upon Tyne
Salary: Starting from £39,688 - £51,000 per annum DOE
Contract Type: Permanent
In our quest to make things better, we never stop looking at how every bit of banking works. We sweat the small stuff, because we know it makes a big difference for our customers. But at the heart of this are our people – who we couldn’t do without. Our bold and brilliant colleagues who bring their A game every single day. The question is – are you ready to bring yours?
We’re growing our team and have an exciting opportunity within our Digital Solutions team, our team is an essential part of the organisation’s growth plans and strategy. Therefore, we are on the lookout for an ambitious Solution Designer to help us deliver an engaging customer experience. What do Digital Solutions do I hear you say – Well we are responsible for delivering the digital capabilities that enable our customers to engage with their finances when and how they want to. We deliver across web and mobile channels across a range of technologies. Being digital and on the go has never been so important – We love what we do and it’s truly an exciting time to join the team!
Tell me more…
As a Solution Designer, we’re not just looking for a technologist but for someone who also enjoys engaging and collaborating with stakeholders. We believe in collaboration, with Agile at the heart of everything we do. We aren’t perfect (who is?) so we iterate and improve as we go. We are looking for people who can not only help us continue to disrupt the banking sector but also how we become better at what we do!
We’re looking for an IT professional, responsible for the technical Solution Design for key projects within an agile environment. In general, designs will involve a wide range of technologies and business areas, but some domain detailed knowledge is expected within the Digital space.
Day to day you’ll be...
• Working closely with business and Technology colleagues to ensure that design options are effectively evaluated and robust recommendations made.
• Socialisation of designs for approval.
• Providing technology leadership across project teams ensuring that direction is communicated and understood.
• Working closely with third party delivery teams to ensure they have the necessary support and governance to deliver.
• Peer reviewing of designs produced by others.
• Strong contribution to the domain guild community of interest – inputting where appropriate and effectively championing the adherence to CYGB policies and standards through influence of others within design, software engineering and other roles.
• Ongoing support, direction and governance of project delivery against agreed designs and assessment of the impact of change requests on the high-level design.
To be successful you’ll bring…
• Significant experience and expertise in Solutions Architecture / Design in financial services organisations across a range of technologies.
• Able to lead design of technical solutions to complex business problems.
• Very good influencing and interpersonal skills and credibility with stakeholders.
• Interest, drive and proactivity to lead improvements to the design service of the team.
• Practical experience in Agile development, e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe
We would like you to have…
• Previous financial services or banking experience.
• Experience of working with third party delivery partners.
• A broad range of design experience - the role holder will be an experienced IT professional, typically with a degree and business/ IT post-graduate professional education, with experience of influencing at a senior level.
• Exposure / Interest of Microservice and event driven architectures
• Exposure / Interest of Web app and Mobile App development.
• Exposure / Interest of working with Java applications.
• Exposure / Interest of working with a Platform As A Service (PAAS)
• Exposure / Interest with working with cloud services.
• Exposure / Interest with API’s.
• Prepared to self-learn a new technology in short timescales, to assess the worth of technology platforms.
• Broad understanding of information security, and risks of a modern platform.
• Interest in emerging trends / technology and can guide stakeholders on how they may be used.
• Atlassian Stack
This is a wish list so don’t worry if you don’t have all of these as we’d still love to hear from you! Overall, your attitude and approach are as important as the experience and skills that you will bring.
Sound good? Apply now!
Red Hot Rewards for your hard work...
• A generous holiday package and the option to buy more!
• Private Medical Insurance - with the option to extend to family members.
• Pension! A market leading pension – we’ll top up your contributions too.
• Flexible benefits – customise your rewards to work for you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at email@example.com or HRUKRecruitment@cybg.com
Point to note…
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit…
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.