Job Title: Technical Designer (Solution Architect)
Business Unit: Chief Information Office, Core Solutions, Planning & Design
Employment Contract: Permanent
Salary: £49,611 to £59,533 DOE plus great benefits
Location: Glasgow, Newcastle, UK Based
Disrupt the status quo. It’s a simple statement that tells you everything about our ambition. It’s about thinking what money could be, instead of what it’s always been. Thinking this way gives us so many opportunities to make our customers happier. We’re not like other banks – and we want you to help us be even more exceptional.
We have a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about solutions architecture and design. We’re looking for a Technology Consultant who will create high-level end to end designs and take ownership of their realisation throughout the Software Development Life-cycle. We want someone who is eager to learn, keen to share knowledge, enjoys responsibility and is self-motivating in accordance with our core values of “Heartfelt Service”, “Insatiable Curiosity” and “Red Hot Relevance”!
Here’s what you will be concerned with:
- Working closely with Business and Technology colleagues to ensure that design options are effectively evaluated and that robust recommendations are made.
- Ongoing governance of project delivery against agreed designs and assessment of the impact of change requests on the high-level design
- Running design forums and workshops with developer, operational and business colleagues. Third party vendors will often be involved as well.
- Distribution of designs for approval and presentation of said designs at formal clinics
- Peer review of designs produced by colleagues.
- Involvement in the technical communities of interest to support and enhance Virgin Money software development policies and standards.
- Provision of Solution Design estimates for input to Business Cases
- Involvement in internal improvement initiatives to develop the overall capability of the Solutions Design competency.
- Working alongside Lead Solution Architects and with other designers within the Solutions Design competency to support the bank's business projects.
There are a few capabilities we’d prefer you have:
- Experience and expertise in solution architecture roles
- Experience of a range of technologies including, for example, Messaging & Middleware, Microservices, Cloud and Data Streaming
- Experience of working in waterfall and agile environments during the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Understanding and experience of design governance
- Ability to work with both Business and Technology stakeholders to build personal credibility in shaping of solutions to business problems
- Support planning - help drive the scope and delivery shape and schedule as well as the design
- Good influencing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage and resolve design risks and issues
- To ensure that designs adhere to agreed principles, policies and roadmaps, whilst meeting business requirements you will collaborate and work effectively with other professionals:
- Enterprise Architects
- Domain Architects
- Solution Architects in Digital and Data
- Business Analysts
- Test Architects
- IT Security consultants
- Operational Specialists
- Experience of working as part of a team to deliver to deadlines
- The Core Solutions Solution Design team have responsibility for the following areas of business:
- Financial Fraud and AML
- Debit & Credit Cards
- ATM & POS
- Payments (FPS, SWIFT, CHAPS, BACS)
- Core banking processing
- Treasury Systems
RED HOT Rewards:
- A generous holiday package and the option to buy more!
- Private Medical Insurance - with the option to extend to family members.
- Pension! A market leading pension – we’ll top up your contributions too.
- Flexible benefits – customise your rewards to work for you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at firstname.lastname@example.org or HRUKRecruitment@cybg.com
Point to note…
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit…
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.