Job Title: Technical Designer
Business Unit: Digital Engineering
Salary: Up to £60,000 DOE
Location: UK, Flexible
Contract Type: Permanent
Disrupt the status quo. It’s a simple statement that tells you everything about our ambition. It’s about thinking what money could be, instead of what it’s always been. Thinking this way gives us so many opportunities to make our customers happier. We’re not like other banks – and we want you to help us be even more exceptional
What do YOU get when you join Virgin Money… Red Hot Rewards of course!
38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
Five extra paid well-being days per year
A 35 hour working week
20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
Market leading Pension
Private Medical Insurance
Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
A digital-first colleague experience
Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
All these benefits are available to colleagues from their first day.
Have we got your attention? Let’s tell you a wee bit more about the job!
We have a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual to transform how changes to the data landscape is managed across our Digital Engineering Data Solutions team. It’s an exciting time to work in Data Solutions as we integrate the data across the bank, optimise our data assets, making data available to business users in new transformational ways. It’s also important we enable them to fulfil our regulatory obligations, drive value and deliver truly differentiated customer experiences. We need people to help us shape the future of our modern, consolidated data platform. Sound interesting? Read on…
As an experienced Technical Designer, you’ll have strong IT solution and communication skills, and work with the architecture & design team that is responsible for the Bank’s enterprise information management solutions. In this fast paced and exciting role, you will cover Big Data and traditional architectures, including Hadoop, Data Lakes, data warehouses, data marts, reporting & analytics and MDM applications; used to support key Bank functions including Regulatory & Compliance, Sales, Marketing, Risk and Treasury.
Day to Day you’ll be…
• Developing and communicating project designs for our design and development community
• Designing changes to our data landscape which ensures our data is secure at all times, quality controlled and accessible by the right people at the right time.
• Governing the data models and design, delivery of best practise, driving reuse and agility
• Ensuring quality processes are embedded in the delivery methodology and design
• Overseeing quality assurance of delivered software through working with our delivery partners
• Proposing remediation plans and evaluate improvement opportunities
• Participating in development and presentation of strategic change initiatives and driving them through to delivery
• Liaising with enterprise architects, designers, analysts and our development partners
• Actively contributing to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, the team and data warehouse applications
• Developing and maintaining relationships with relevant stakeholders across the organisation
• Contributing to department-wide improvement initiatives
To be brilliant you’ll need to bring and be…
• In depth experience and proven track record of success in delivery of technical design and governance.
• Demonstrable knowledge of both traditional and modern data architectures and technologies (e.g. relational and NoSQL databases, data warehouses, data lakes) as well as data integration patterns and related technologies.
• In depth working knowledge of data lifecycles, metadata, reconciliation, cleansing and data quality.
• The ability to communicate complex ideas in simple terms as well as influencing key technical and business stakeholders.
• Proven experience of managing multiple priorities in a fast-changing environment, with a strong cultural awareness as Virgin Money has built strong and valued relationships with implementation partners with both an onshore and offshore presence.
• a self-starter who can drive and shape our change agenda, maximising our return and delivering exceptional outcomes for the business and digital engineering.
• Ability to act as a champion for change
The icing on the cake would be…
• Previous Financial Services or Banking experience.
• Experience of working in partnership with third party delivery partners.
• Experience of agile methods and working in an agile organisation to deliver change.
• Experience of working with solutions built using cloud platforms and technologies e.g. Azure/AWS.
• Knowledge of Master Data Management (MDM) or Customer Data Integration (CDI) applications.
• Experience with modelling tools like Erwin, Information Data Architect, SQL Developer Data Modeler.
• Practical experience of Data Profiling.
• Experience with batch and real time integration patterns, tools and technologies such as SAP Data Services, Informatica, DataStage, Glue, SISS. Kafka etc.
• Knowledge of NoSQL databases e.g. MongoDB, Cosmos DB.
Its hard work and fast paced but we promise you’ll have great fun being part of something special.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the to be brilliant you’ll need to bring section above, but the final section is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at firstname.lastname@example.org or HRUKRecruitment@cybg.com
Point to note…
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit…
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.