Business Unit: Chief Credit Office
Salary Range: £74,400 - £93,000 per annum DOE
Location: Remote – work from anywhere within the UK
Contract Type: Permanent Full Time
Your life more Virgin starts here
We’ve made huge progress on our transformation into a digital bank – from launching new digital propositions for customers to giving our colleagues more flexibility and Virgin oomph. Together, we’re creating something unique in UK banking. And we’re accelerating our digital drive to position ourselves as the number one digital bank, so it’s a massively exciting time to be joining us.
Here’s what it means for YOU:
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35-hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension & Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And you get these Red Hot Rewards from day one!
As a Credit Director, you will use your commerciality, experience, expertise and knowledge to analyse, high value and often complex corporate funding requests across the whole of Strategic Finance and National Sector portfolios. Working closely with colleagues across the wider Credit Risk team you will deliver innovative solutions that align to our Risk Appetite settings, as well as provide timely identification, mitigation, and management of risks the combination of which enable us to stand out from the competition whilst keeping Virgin Money safe and fulfilling Our Purpose.
This role also offers the successful applicant the opportunity to develop and grow their people leadership skills, and as a deputy to your nominated people leader you will gain insight and input into key strategic initiatives.
The role holder will be classified as a ‘material risk taker’ under the FCA certification regime and will be required to both understand these obligations and expectations and always adhere to them.
Day to Day You’ll Be:
- Managing the asset quality of the Strategic Finance & National Sectors portfolios across the UK, by way of the approval and review of new and existing Customer credit applications.
- Undertaking Credit Risk assessments and decisioning in accordance with the approved Risk Settings as determined in agreed Credit Policies and Procedures.
- Being accountable for credit decisions and identify signs of stress with the aim of minimising the Bank’s exposure to bad and doubtful debt
- Proactively looking for opportunities to enhance the financial package proposed for the customer where this is appropriate and within acceptable risk parameters.
- Providing a quality service to our internal customers including coaching, provision of feedback, specialist industry information and advice on the quality of Credit Submissions.
- Proactively reviewing and recommending improvements to Credit Policy and Procedures.
- Coaching Direct Reports, Relationship Managers/ Directors where the Credit Risk proposed is not in line with the approved Risk Settings together with restructuring proposals in a manner that will facilitate approval where possible.
- Accepting full responsibility for lending decisions made within individual and joint Delegated Commitment Authority (DCA) and/or recommending to a higher authority beyond personal DCA.
- Ensuring that the risks of lending proposals submitted are properly identified, assessed and mitigated appropriately.
- Completing Credit Decisioning responsibilities within the requirements of Service Level Agreements.
- Supporting the Business Bank aspirations for Asset growth with a balanced approach to Asset Quality and Risk Reward.
- Making recommendations and presentations to Credit Committees on proposals which fall within Credit Committee DCAs.
- Working closely with Stratgic Finance and National Sectors teams across the UK, including participation in team meetings as well as customer and advisor visits.
- Using available data sources to monitor and highlight either individual counterparty, portfolio or Regional issues or trends which may impact credit risk or customer service.
- Contributing to team training and proactively look to share key learnings and experiences among colleagues and the wider credit and Risk teams.
There are a Few Essentials You Need to Bring….
- A sound understanding of Strategic Finance and National Sectors business and commercial environments.
- Knowledge of the current economic climate and the corporate finance market.
- In depth knowledge of Credit Policy and Procedures.
- An ability to understand, analyse and interpret complex financial statements and written narrative in line with the credit risk framework and risk appetite, thereby enabling the making of informed decisions for new deals within a variety of business, industries, and economic environments.
- Strong capacity to manage high workflows and prioritise appropriately, managing stakeholder expectations.
- Superb blend of communications and negotiating skills.
- Proven ability to introduce and drive through change.
- The role holder will possess high levels of self-awareness and support/ bring to life the Virgin Money brand and values through the demonstration of the enterprise and team behaviour.
- Ability to think critically, be pragmatic, have confidence to challenge, problem solve and have a desire to find new ways of doing things.
- Significant experience in Strategic Finance and National Sectors lending from a relationship manager or credit role.
- A track record in building and managing stakeholder relationships
- The ability to work both indepently and as part of a team, coach and develop staff in complex credit matters and act as a mentor as required / appropriate
- Demonstrated ability to make sound and balanced decisions under pressure/time constraints
- Experience in lending as a relationship manager with a portfolio displaying significant connections and complexity
- Sound working knowledge of Business Lending Platform & eCRS system
It’s a Bonus if You Have….
- Degree, Banking and/or Professional Qualification or equivalent practical experience
- Moody’s/Moody’s equivalent
We’d really like you to have the skills and experience listed in the “essentials you’ll need to bring” section above. However, it’s about getting the right person. So, we have a little flexibility in what we are looking for. The rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our careers team at email@example.com.
Now the legal bit
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.