Business Unit: Finance
Salary range: £43,600 - £54,500 per annum
Contract type: Permanent Full Time
Grab onto your Virgin Money adventure!
We’ve made huge progress on our transformation into a digital bank – from launching new digital propositions for customers to giving our colleagues more flexibility and Virgin oomph. Together, we’re creating something unique in UK banking. And we’re accelerating our digital drive to position ourselves as the number one digital bank, so it’s a massively exciting time to be joining us.
Here’s what it means for YOU:
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Up to five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35-hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension & Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And you get these Red Hot Rewards from day one!
Across Financial Control, we’re looking to invest in the skills that we need to deliver our digital and innovation agenda. This is a role that a whole range of different people could thrive in. One thing from the outset though is that this is a coding role.
You'll be joining a small squad with one clear deliverable and a potentially limitless future. The squad is based in the IFRS9 team in Finance, so I'll need to explain IFRS9. There are two answers, and they sum up the role well. There's a functional answer - IFRS means International Financial Reporting Standards and there are lots of them. This is number 9. There's also a real-world answer - IFRS9 is the way that banks have to guess how much money they might lose through people not paying us back. One of the rules of being a bank is that you must hold money aside (think of a bag under a desk) to cover future losses. Our current number for the size of the bag is about £500m.
This role in a nutshell…
IFRS9 is currently a combination of thousands of lines of SAS and SQL code with billions of data items all moving through dozens of statistical models and even a few macro-economic scenario predictions too. It's hard to imagine a more complex process to create just one number, but that's what we do. We own all our code, all the way from checking data arrived through to telling people that we've finished our calculations. Both heritage banks had their own way of doing it, using different data, platforms, code, approaches, and solutions. Our first task is to build a new single solution. And make it better. Does this sound like something you'd be interested in doing?
The IFRS9 team has lots of skilled people in lots of different disciplines - ranging from former summer school drama teacher, tennis umpire, parent, SQL experts, central banking economist, singers, football coach, statistical modelling experts, econometricians, service personnel, rocket scientists, cook, farmers, golfers. We speak at least four languages, have been on television lots and live all over the country. Some of us work 9-5 and others don't work Wednesdays.
The team is relied on for technical excellence and reliable outputs so quality assurance and attention to detail are probably key to how we work so well together. Our outputs are seen by our exec, our board, our shareholders, our customers, and the whole world. We own a robust process that runs without fail every month and we fit perfectly into the wider reporting cycles of the Group when we need to.
There are a few essentials you need to bring…
- A coding mindset. A lot of your day will be looking at data, running code, realising it doesn't work, finding out why and running it again. People are often much better at this than they think. But it does take time to acquire the skills you need.
- A desire to want to work in a team like ours. Our squad knows what the end looks like (one calculation engine) but doesn't know yet how we will get there.
- A reasonable level of experience of this type of work. Not IFRS9, not necessarily SAS or SQL, maybe not even Risk or Finance work. But we're looking for genuine self-managing professionals here - people who understand what might be involved in the role and who can show how their skills directly fit into the development of industry-leading calculation engine.
The following would be brilliant, but is not essential…
- Experience working with Tableau / Power BI / similar along with a passion for pushing these tools to their limits.
- Experience or knowledge of the Azure toolkit. We like using new technologies and want to be at the front of the queue with this one.
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs, and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our careers team at email@example.com.
Now the legal bit…
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.