Business Unit: Risk & Compliance, VMUTM (Virgin Money Investments)
Salary range: £74,400 - £93,000 DOE + red-hot benefits
Location: Flexible within UK
Contract type: Fixed term for 6 months
Get ready to Live a Life More Virgin
Our Risk department provide us with a fool proof framework to make decisions that we know will keep our customers’ and investors’ money safe. They are always safeguarding our bank from an array of risks that could pop up at any moment.
Virgin Money Unit Trust Managers Ltd (VMUTM) is a joint venture between Virgin Money plc and abrdn plc. VMI provides investments and pensions propositions combining Virgin Money’s brand, scale and retail distribution expertise with abrdn’ s market-leading investment solutions and asset management technology.
With an eye for detail and ability to recognise risks which may impact our business and customers, our Senior consultants enlighten on VMUTM’s policy, process, systems and procedures, insuring VMUTM identify, control and monitor risks and the continuous and evolving maturity of our risk framework, policies and standards. This oversight will help safeguard, by providing independent advice and challenge to the management of risks for VMUTM’s unit trust-based investment products.
You’ll have strong interpersonal skills and be able to have straight up conversations with colleagues, VMUTM key stakeholders and suppliers. In this role you’ll help maintain a supportive and collaborative relationship to build strong management of risks in this changing landscape.
What you’ll be doing
- Sharing expertise and support the business to operate an effective risk culture
- Collaborating with and support/direct colleagues to achieve delivery of team and department plans, initiatives, and projects
- Take responsibility for self-development, including the appropriate prioritisation of work and to demonstrate VMUTM values & culture
- Maintain, share and continuously develop a high level of risk knowledge and technical expertise
- Manage the periodic reviews of the Business Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) challenging business if risk measurement and controls seem inaccurate / ineffective
- Provide input to strategic risk assessments, through analysis and recommendation, support managers to input to strategies to achieving business objectives, including strategic change initiatives and projects
- Monitor the performance of the business and provide managers with early warning signs of adverse risk trends and emerging risks
- Undertake analysis, design, build and implementation of risk frameworks and processes, as they relate to VMUTM unit trust investment products
- Propose changes to VMUTM policies, frameworks, processes, systems and limits arising from risk view of business performance and industry changes in Investment unit trust and pension regulation and/or business requirements to ensure VM remains compliant
- Undertake horizon scanning reviews of industry trend to identify new and emerging risk trends and concern
- Develop and manage third party risk management approach from a 2nd line perspective
- Perform comprehensive and accurate risk assessment and reporting activity as directed by the Chief Risk Officer
We need you to have
- Sound understanding of pension and investment industry and a broad understanding of relevant FCA regulation
- Motivation to be a highly driven, energetic and robust leader, who can positively engage with the VMI Leadership Team and wider business
- A natural ability to engage people as you develop, maintain and grow positive relationships with our partners and stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including report writing at senior level
- Self-motivation to stay up to date on risk industry developments
- Ability to overcome obstacles, be accountable and use your initiative to do the right thing
- Sound decision making and critical thinking
Just to flag
Not sure you’ve all the skills? That's okay – still apply as we value passion and potential so tell us why you’d be great in your application.
Red Hot Rewards
- Generous holidays - 38.5 days annual leave (including bank holidays and prorated if part-time) plus the option to buy more
- Up to five extra paid well-being days per year
- 20 weeks paid, gender-neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market-leading pension
- Free private medical cover, income protection and life assurance
- Flexible benefits include Cycle to Work, wellness and health assessments, and critical illness
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And there's no waiting around, you'll enjoy these benefits from day one.
Feeling insatiably curious about this role? Apply as soon as you can. If we’re lucky to receive a lot of interest, we may close the advert early and would hate you to miss out.
We're all about helping you Live a Life More Virgin, so happy to talk flexible working with you.
Say hello to Virgin Money
We’re making great strides towards achieving our ambition of becoming the UK’s best digital bank. As a full-service digital bank with a heritage stretching back over 180 years, we`re a workforce to be reckoned with. We're putting the full power of our experience behind disruptive ideas that reinvent the role a bank plays in people's lives. We strive to create positive experiences for our millions of customers and our purpose, ‘Making You Happier About Money’, underpins everything we do. We believe in doing banking differently, innovating and working together to make a real difference. Join us and Live a Life More Virgin that empowers you with choice and flexibility in how you work.
Be yourself at Virgin Money
Our purpose is to make people happier about money, this means seeing and feeling the world as our customers do by creating a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our customers and communities. We’re committed to creating an inclusive culture where colleagues feel safe and inspired to contribute, speak up and be heard.
As a Disability Confident Leader, we're committed to removing any obstacles to inclusion. If you need any reasonable adjustments or support making your application, contact our Talent Acquisition team email@example.com
Now the legal bit
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it), but we'll need you to confirm you have the right to work in the UK.
If you're successful in securing a role with us, there are some checks you need to complete before starting. These include credit and criminal record checks and three years' worth of satisfactory references. If the role is part of the Senior Manager Regime and Certification Regime, it requires enhanced pre-employment checks – we'll ask for six years of regulatory references, and once in the role, you'll be subject to periodic employment checks.