Business Unit: Group Legal and Governance
Location: Glasgow or Newcastle are ideal but we're flexible
Salary: up to circa £45,000
Contract Type: Permanent
Disrupt the status quo. It’s a simple statement that tells you everything about our ambition. It’s about thinking what money could be, instead of what it’s always been. Thinking this way gives us so many opportunities to make our customers happier. We’re not like other banks – and we want you to help us be even more exceptional.
We’re searching for a Governance Manager to join our Legal, Governance and Purpose function. If you’re Insatiably Curious about corporate governance and would love to get under the bonnet of how our Bank runs then we have the role for you. We’re looking for a self-motivated, enthusiastic person who will thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic role where no two days are the same. The work you’ll be doing will be varied – one day you could be working alongside our Company Secretary supporting our Board of Directors, the next running an executive committee, inputting to the Annual Report and Accounts or helping with the arrangements for the AGM. We work closely with a range of stakeholders including our Board of Directors and executive Leadership Team. Our work is wide-ranging, often complex, requires laser-like attention to detail and organisational skills that are second to none!
You’ll join the Governance team but be part of the wider Legal, Governance and Purpose family so there will be opportunities to gain broader experience too from supplier contract negotiations to being part of the launch of a brand-new product or service. We’re a highly passionate, goal-driven bunch and an inspiring team to work in. We’re 100% committed to driving our Purpose and living it every day.
Here’s a taste of what you’ll be doing.
• Supporting the effective running of the corporate governance framework working with the wider team to develop, maintain and implement policies, procedures and best practice
• Providing advice on a range of corporate governance matters
• Running an executive management committee (or two!) end-to-end working closely with the Chair to prepare meeting agendas, collate papers, take minutes and follow up on actions
• Running a portfolio of companies dealing with the full lifecycle of company compliance including director appointments, Board meetings, company filings and annual report and accounts
• Providing support to ensure that Virgin Money complies with the rules of the stock exchanges and regulators in the UK and Australia and all the other bits of compliance that apply to us
• Supporting on a range of shareholder matters including input to the Annual Report and Accounts, arrangements for the AGM and dividend payments
• Making sure the corporate governance content on the Virgin Money website and on VMx is kept up to date
• Leading on project work – whether within our team or representing Governance on wider projects
• Playing an active role to continually challenge the status quo and in finding ways to make what we do easier and more efficient for us and more straightforward for our customers.
We’re hunting for a person that demonstrates the right attitude, passion and professionalism to join our team – that’s more important than decades of experience.
There are a few essentials you’ll need to bring:
• A tertiary qualification in a governance related discipline or (have substantially completed) a relevant professional qualification
• At least three years recent experience in a similar role
• Previous experience of contributing to time critical project-based work
• A proven and successful track record of supporting multiple priorities in a fast-changing environment
• Strong communication skills and experience of dealing with a range of internal and external stakeholders, sometimes at a senior level
• A proactive approach and ability to use your own initiative to take an idea, work it through and deliver something great
• Brilliant listening and writing skills – you’ll be able to understand complex topics, follow a discussion and produce a coherent record of a meeting
• An eye for detail and the ability to be straight up, keeping the complex simple
• Pride in delivering your work to a high standard
Our wish list, things that would be nice to have:
• An understanding of the Group’s corporate governance framework
• An understanding of the corporate governance rules and regulations which apply to listed companies in the UK financial services sector
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the essentials section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
RED HOT Rewards
• A generous holiday package and the option to buy more!
• Private Medical Insurance - with the option to extend to family members.
• Pension! A market leading pension – we’ll top up your contributions too.
• Flexible benefits – customise your rewards to work for you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at email@example.com or HRUKRecruitment@cybg.com
Point to note…
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit…
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.