Job Title: Senior Technical Specialist
Business Unit: IT Operations (Core & Data), Application Platform Team
Salary Range: £39,689 to £59,533 plus great benefits
Permanent or Fixed Term: Permanent
Location: UK Flexible
Senior Technical Specialist– WebSphere Application Server (WAS) Deployment and Automation
Disrupt the status quo. It’s a simple statement that tells you everything about our ambition. It’s about thinking what money could be, instead of what it’s always been. Thinking this way gives us so many opportunities to make our customers happier. We’re not like other banks – and we want you to help us be even more exceptional.
We’re on the lookout for a talented Senior Technical Specialist to lead the way in managing and supporting our system and services in our Middleware Support Function within the Application Platform Team. The team are part of the IT Operations Core & Data function that manage some of the banks critical systems and applications. This is an exciting time to join the team as there are a range of projects and cross skilling opportunities as we continue with our integration plans across the bank.
As a Senior Technical Specialist you will be a leader within a dynamic, high-performing team supporting various critical Business Services and technologies. You will be the lead technical member of the team responsible for directing the delivery of an excellent service alongside offering coaching, training, support and guidance to the rest of the team. To lead from the front. To support and problem solve. To ensure the team maintains excellent customer service and prevent service impact. To lead and direct the engineering of fantastic operational solutions ensuring the delivery of reliable and scalable outcomes.
You will provide leadership by assisting your Line manager with technical estimations for new or existing projects. You will be accountable for improving our processes through innovation and continuous improvement. Collaborating with internal and external parties in order to provide excellent customer service. Our work is specialised and fast paced, so you will self-manage and direct others in a professional and proactive manner in conjunction with your Line Manager. You will bring WAS Technical leadership and expert automation skills to the team and will be required to upskill in the Enterprise Content Management, Enterprise Integration Bus, JBoss and other Middleware technologies utilised within the Team. The ultimate aim of the team is to ensure a seamless customer and colleague experience through delivery of robust, well managed and maintained enterprise scale applications and systems.
The role is all about…
- Improving our processes through innovation and continuous improvement through resources and tools provided.
- Collaborating with internal and external parties in order to provide excellent customer service.
- Working alongside project teams to ensure our solutions meet the organisation’s strategic needs through consistent technical input and activities to meet business requirements and deadlines.
- Supporting live service through the proactive identification of risk and swift resolution of live issues.
- Attendance at service review meetings and technical input and activities to meet business requirements and deadlines.
- Represent the team at CAB, MCAB, Design forums and project meetings.
- Developing Automation – Expert at utilising Shell Scripting & Jython (Python).
- Driving and encoring others within and out of your immediate team to ensure the best outcomes possible are delivered for the services the team support.
- Improving our delivery through innovation, continuous improvement, and automation.
- Collaborating with internal and external parties to provide excellent customer service.
- Engineering systems to be more reliable and scalable.
- Taking ownership of activities within the team and driving them to resolution.
- Coaching team members to improve the overall knowledge and experience within the team.
The successful candidate will have an expert level of knowledge and experience in WAS Network Deployment and the related technologies/topologies alongside an awareness of the types of Java Applications that it supports.
We need you to have…
- Expert level of knowledge and experience of WAS Network Deployment tasks / commands.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Expert in prioritising multiple activities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Expert in driving complex issues and coaching / mentoring others.
- Must be able to work on your own initiative and take ownership and responsibility for team deliverables.
- Capability to upskill on other technologies based within the team.
- Flexibility regarding working hours / on call coverage.
- Expert in effective communication and resolving complex situations.
- Drive to manage your own and teams development.
- Leadership qualities & examples of leading complex technical projects.
We would like you to have...
- Expert working in a WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment Technical Support role.
- Experience of supporting Business Objects, Accurate or similar applications from a WebSphere perspective.
- Expert supporting production and development/testing systems.
- Exposure to J2EE Development framework.
- Operational knowledge of Banking.
- Scripting and automation skills (including but not limited to BASH / Python).
- ITIL Service Management process awareness (Change, Incident & Problem Management processes).
- Knowledge of our critical services such as High Value Payments, Batch Processing, Financial Reconciliation.
- An expert understanding of WebSphere Application Server (WAS) infrastructure technologies including:
- IBM WebSphere Application Server Network Deployment (Cell & Cluster Build, Lockdown, Application Deployment & Configuration and problem determination & resolution)
- IBM HTTP Server
- IBM WebSphere Portal
- WAS Build and Application deployment automation using orchestration Tools like IBM UrbanCode Deploy.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the 'We need you to have' section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
RED HOT Rewards...
- A generous holiday package and the option to buy more!
- Private Medical Insurance - with the option to extend to family members.
- Pension! A market leading pension – we’ll top up your contributions too.
- Flexible benefits – customise your rewards to work for you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at email@example.com or HRUKRecruitment@cybg.com
Point to note…
At the minute, depending on which team you are joining, lots of us are working from home. This is something that may change over time, and if so, we will come together in one of our hub locations, giving you the chance to meet your new colleagues in person. We will of course, make sure you have the IT equipment to access our systems and to interact digitally with your new team and colleagues, but we thought it best to let you know this in advance, so you can make sure you are set up to work safely and productively. If you have any questions on this let us know!
Now the legal bit…
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.