Business Unit: Security Operations, Security Operations Centre
Salary: Up to Circa £42,600 (£35,500 + 20% shift allowance)
We’re at our best when we have something to drive us forward, a belief that underlines who we are and what we do. Our Purpose. We want to make people happier about money – and that idea starts with every single one of us here at Virgin Money. Feeling insatiably curious about your next adventure? You might have just found it.
Our Security Operations Centre (SOC) is part of the Security Operations team. As a SOC Analyst you will be responsible for the detection, triage and initial response to unusual and anomalous events. You will also play a key role in our ability to defend against complex internal and external threat actors that intend to harm the interests of our customers and the bank.
What’s in it for you? RED HOT Rewards of course
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Up to five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35 hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension
- Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- A digital-first colleague experience
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And the great news is, all these benefits are available to colleagues from day one!
To support your personal development, you’ll also be able to take advantage of our Enterprise Skills Initiative agreement with Microsoft. This means you will have access to Microsoft lead training, practice tests for examinations and the ability for take certification exams.
Tell me more…
We’re looking for a SOC Analyst to join our Security Operations Centre. The SOC provides 24/7 monitoring, so you will be working on a four on, four off shift rotation working both day and night shifts but with plenty rest between. As a shift worker, you’ll be rewarded with a fixed shift allowance of 20% on your base salary. Please apply if you are looking to start your career in Cyber Security or if you’re a seasoned SOC Analyst looking to progress your career in the Financial Services sector.
Day to day you’ll be:
- Working with several SIEM solutions covering modern cloud native technology, on premises systems, network flow and database technologies.
- Responding to alerts generated by our SIEM solutions, you will be responsible for the initial analysis and triage of unusual and anomalous behaviours within our information systems.
- Proactively hunting for threats and issues that may exist within our information systems.
- Working closely with the Duty Officer to escalate events or issues that require full incident response.
- Working with your wider shift teams to share knowledge and insight to maintain a situational awareness within the team.
- Working with more senior team members to identify opportunities to improve operational process, through analytical rule tuning, process automation, and innovation to enable the team to improve our operational capability and to respond to emerging threats.
- Monitoring mailboxes for reported incidents and events. Analysing phishing and spam email for threats.
- Working with Incident Response team members to support the containment and resolution of security incidents.
- As required participate in tabletop exercises, purple team and red team engagements to assess our detection and response capability.
To be successful you’ll bring these essential skills:
- Strong analytical skills: the ability to think laterally and to think criticality to solve problems.
- Effective communications skills: (both written and verbal) we need you to be able to share and communicate analysis and observations to a variety of stakeholders.
- Prioritisation: working in a rapidly changing environment, you’ll need to be able to prioritise multiple activities.
- Initiative: the ability to work on your own initiative and take responsibility for your and team deliverables.
- Positive attitude: having a willingness to learn and develop yourself.
- Working knowledge of one or more general IT domains such as: operating systems, databases, networks and applications.
We’d love you to have:
- Experience of working in a security operations environment.
- Demonstrable expertise with SIEM tools.
- A background working in, or strong IT skills.
- Undergraduate degree in a Computing Science or Cyber Security related discipline.
- Formal certifications in Technology, Information Security or Cyber Security.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Sentinel and Microsoft Azure (including certifications such as SC-900 or SC-200).
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the ‘To be successful' section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our careers team at email@example.com.
Now the legal bit…
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.