Business Unit: Group Risk, Operational & Resilience Risk
Salary Range: Competitive
Join Virgin Money as we transform our team into one that is ready to meet the challenges of the future, setting us up to support our ambition to disrupt the status quo and turn traditional banking on its head. We’re on the lookout for like-minded individuals and innovators to help drive our strategy forward. We’re also transforming how we work, offering our colleagues more choice, control and flexibility to live and work how they choose with A Life More Virgin.
Here’s what it means for YOU:
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35-hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension & Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And you get these Red-Hot Rewards from day one!
As Senior Manager – Operational Risk, you’ll be responsible for ensuring Virgin Money is managing its Operational Risk position and control environment effectively, against our Risk Management framework, and within Risk Appetite. Reporting to the Head of Operational and Resilience Risk, one of the Risk Leadership Team, your role will work closely with senior managers within risk and the wider business.
As a skilled risk professional, you’ll use your understanding and experience to translate risk obligations into best in class, compliant by design, business processes and provide oversight and challenge when needed to the wider business to ensure adherence to the framework and policies. You’ll have a love for process and control design, data driven assessment and reporting to continually look for ways to disrupt and improve ways of working.
You’ll also interact and engage with stakeholders that own component parts of Operational Resilience Risk (people risk, 3rd party risk, change risk and payments risk), and with the business owners of frameworks and controls.
As a leader, a core part of your role will be to deliver the very best performance through a team of up to 9 colleagues, by keeping our Purpose, Strategic Aims and Values & Behaviours at the heart of all they do whilst developing their team with stretching goals to build capability and ambition.
Day to day you’ll:
• Leading the wider Operational Risk team (7-9 colleagues)
• Ensuring risk and control profiles and operational risk processes/procedures are known, understood, adhered to, and embedded
• Attending and providing reports covering Operational Risk to committees and boards as well as the regulator
• Building effective internal and external relationships with key senior stakeholders as required
• Critical and independent thinking, and problem solving
• Working in an Agile manner, striving for new ways of realising an outcome, not being tied to existing processes
• Developing strategies and plans to achieve business objectives and working with stakeholders, often at a senior level, to embed risk knowledge and adherence
• Designing streamlined and automated controls, and embedding these methodologies across the Bank
• Supporting the wider team by providing insightful oversight and challenge to key stakeholders at all levels
• Managing relationships at all levels across the group, particularly with Business Stakeholders, 1st Line of Defence Risk teams, Audit, Compliance, and the wider risk function
• Maintain awareness of industry best practice developments and technical developments (where appropriate) that influence the regulatory operating environment
• Ensure compliance with all corporate standards, policies, processes, and procedures and with all external legal, regulatory, and voluntary codes and practices.
There are a few essentials you need to bring…
• Extensive experience within the Financial Services industry and in a variety of roles
• Extensive Risk Management experience, covering different elements of the risk management framework
• Experience working in 1st Line
• Strong understanding of Retail and/or SME banking, as well as Risk
• Highly developed stakeholder management expertise
• Experience in designing reports for a variety of stakeholders, ensuring key messages are presented appropriately for the audience
• Experience designing and testing controls, both manual and automated
• Broad knowledge of Risk Management disciplines and the 3 Lines of Defence model in place across the Bank
• Strong understanding of how the Operational Risk Framework is applied in a practical business environment
• Subject matter expertise in a related and relevant area of Risk
• A confident communicator, facilitator and influencer at senior management and executive level
It's a bonus if you have (but not essential)…
• Relevant professional qualification (Project Management, Agile, Technology, Risk Management, Fraud, SOX, Audit, Operational Audit)
• Experience of working under the Agile methodology
• Knowledge across a subset of the following: process design, control testing, control design, fraud, regulatory Risk reporting and compliance, process-based risk management
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the essentials section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now the legal bit…
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.