Business Unit: IT Operations
Salary Range: Up to Circa £46,000 DoE
Location: Flexible, remote working available, may be required to attend Newcastle upon Tyne or Glasgow offices occasionally
It’s fair to say we’ve been pretty busy here at Virgin Money, transforming our team to help us disrupt the status quo but we’ve lot more to do, if we are to grow as a digital first bank and that includes accelerating our digital agenda in a truly agile way. We also said ‘Hello’ to A Life More Virgin, our exciting new proposition offering our colleagues more choice, control and flexibility to live and work how they choose.
As a growing Digital Bank, our IT Operations team “keep the lights on” all our banking systems across all business areas: from delighting our customers with new digital features, through to ensuring all our colleagues have access to effective IT capabilities to deliver their best every day. We want everyone to be happy about money! So whether you thrive on delivering exceptional support for customers and colleagues, or have a passion for deploying complex software infrastructure changes, and anything in between, we want to hear from you!
What’s in it for you? RED HOT Rewards of course:
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35 hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension
- Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- A digital-first colleague experience
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
And the great news is, all these benefits are available to colleagues from day one!
We are looking for a technical specialist to bring expertise and knowledge in operations or Site Reliability Engineering to help us maintain our Operational Platform. We’re looking for someone who loves the techy side of being a technologist but also someone who cares about delivering great customer experiences. At the heart of this role is a passion for bringing together the practices of SRE to ensure the resilience and stability of our platforms.
Day to day you’ll be working on a prioritised Kanban backlog of work covering the breadth of the Operational Platform, both on premise and in the cloud. You’ll have a keen eye for spotting opportunities to do things better using your experience and best practice and love to automate away drudgery. Insatiable curiosity will inspire you to learn and develop on the go as our technologies change.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Supporting and maintaining the bank’s Operational Platform through an enterprise transition to Azure
- Prioritising multiple activities in a rapidly changing environment while making time for delivering service improvements
- Building out our catalogue of playbooks to reduce time to resolution
- Automating manual support activities to improve productivity
- Supporting our wider team through the proactive identification of risk and swift resolution of issues
- Collaborating with internal and external parties to provide excellent customer service
To be successful you’ll need to bring:
- An operations mindset focused on keeping our environments stable through curiosity and problem solving
- Broad technical expertise with the determination to own, diagnose and resolve platform issues
- The desire to make things easy through automation or clear triage documentation
- A positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills to influence stakeholders and wow our internal customers
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Technical expertise with the ability to own diagnose and resolve platforms issues
We’d love you to have:
- IT Operations or Site Reliability Engineering experience
- A developer mindset and automation skills to match in languages such as Python, Java or JavaScipt
- Knowledge of Azure DevOps
- Experience of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery tools and ways of working
- Advanced Jira expertise including REST API approaches
- Experience of working in multidisciplinary agile teams
- Experience of working with stakeholders.
- Experience in our toolchain : Openshift / Kubernetes, Docker, GIT version control and Github usage (including direct API access), Jenkins, GoCD, Bash
- Experience in logging, monitoring or capacity management tools
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the ‘To be successful for this role you’ll need to bring' section above, but the rest is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our careers team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now the legal bit…
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references.